Shearing day came and went Thursday and ran fairly smoothly. I was fervently checking the forecast all day Wednesday, as snow was forecast (by some weather sources) but amount and timing was up for debate. In the end, we put all the sheep into a few various sheds and the new fabric topped building so that they stayed dry if the snow did happen to fall.
This turned out to be a wise choice as a small dusting fell Wednesday night and flurries came and went until mid afternoon on Thursday.
This year we skirted all the fleeces, so they were picked up and thrown onto a makeshift skirting table where any manure, areas with a lot of hay matter, and anything else undesirable was pulled out. Then the fleece was folded and rolled and packed in the bag. This should increase the price per pound of our wool. The belly wool and skirtings were packed separately, and are also sold but are of lower value.
This year I had also sold several fleeces privately, so with the help of a friend who has more experience with using wool than me, we chose some of the best fleeces to set aside. I will go though these fleeces again over the next few weeks to prepare them for shipping across the country. I ended up with about 10 extra as well, so I will have to find another outlet for these.
Marketing wool is a new venture for me, and I am excited to see where this side of the farm will take me.